1. ____ beef is a kind of ____ meat.
A. The, the
B. A, the
C. The, –
D. –, –
2. I’m really angry ____ you!
3. My father has lived in Japan ____ five years.
4. I’ll be on vacation ____ next week.
5. Can you tell ____ not to be so rude?
6. ____ wasn’t easy to find your house.
7. The news he told us ____ interesting.
8. What is the ____ important invention in the twentieth century?
D. much more
9. This bank of the river isn’t ____ that one.
A. more beautiful
C. so beautiful
D. as beautiful as
10. You look much ____ today.
C. the best
11. No letters again! ____ has written to me for a month.
12. Aunts, uncles and cousins are ____.
13. I’ll call you as soon as he ____.
A. will come
C. has come
14. If he ____ without her, she will never speak to him again.
B. is going
C. will go
15. What are you laughing ____?
16. It ____ since early morning.
C. had rained
D. has been raining
17. I’m afraid he ____ five minutes ago.
C. is leaving
D. has left
18. ____ you do me a favour?
19. My sister was translating the article when I ____ the room.
A. had come into
B. came into
C. am coming into
20. I’d like to ask you ____ questions.
B. a little
C. a few
21. Children ____ by special instructors how to swim.
A. have taught
B. had taught
C. are taught
22. Bill wanted to know when Nick ____ come to us.
C. will be able
23. My friend wanted ____ him as soon as I came home.
A. that I call
B. that I called
C. me to call
D. I called
24. Mother didn’t let the child ____ TV.
A. to watch
25. It was so late that I ____ take a taxi.
A. was able
D. had to
26. She liked the film, ____ she?
27. ____ Steve ____ Ann the other day?
A. Has ____ seen
B. Does ____ see
C. Did ____ see
D. Will ____ see
28. I got two letters. One was from my father. ____ was from my girlfriend.
A. The other
D. The others
29. If the ice were thick enough, we ____ able to walk across the river.
A. will be
B. would be
30. I don’t know if I ____ here when you phone tomorrow morning.
C. will be
Тест на понимание содержания текста:
Mark Twain, who lived from 1835 to 1910, is one of America’s most famous authors. He wrote many books, including The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Mark Twain’s own life was interesting enough to be a book.
Twain was born in the state of Missouri, near the Mississippi River. He came from a poor family. His father died when he was twelve, so he had to leave school. While he was still a boy he worked as a river boat pilot. He steered boats up and down the long Mississippi River. The Civil War, which started in 1861, made travelling on the Mississippi impossible. Twain then went west to Nevada. There he worked on a newspaper. In 1864 he went to California in search of gold. Twain did not have much luck as a gold miner. He left California to travel in Europe. Twain wrote a book about his trips around Europe.
But the most important influence on Twain and his books was the Mississippi River. When Twain finally settled down, he lived in a house with a porch that looked like the deck of a riverboat. Huckleberry Finn, Twain’s greatest book, is about the adventures of a boy on the Mississippi River. Another of Twain’s books is called Life on the Mississippi.
31. Choose the best title.
A. Mark Twain’s childhood;
B. Mark Twain’s Books;
C. Life in the USA;
D. The Adventures of Mark Twain.
32. What is the writer trying to do in the text?
A. to advertise Mark Twain’s books;
B. to give information on the Civil War;
C. to recommend a trip to California;
D. to tell a story about Mark Twain’s life.
33. Complete the phrase: The greatest influence on Mark Twain and his books was____
A. his poor family.
B. the Mississippi River.
C. the Civil War.
D. different jobs.
34. Choose the sentence, which is not true.
A. Mark Twain settled down in Europe.
B. Mark Twain worked as a river boat pilot.
C. Mark Twain worked on a newspaper.
D. Mark Twain was born in the state of Missouri.
35. What do we learn from the text about Mark Twain?
A. His father was a rich man.
B. He took part in the Civil War.
C. He didn’t have much luck.
D. He is one of America’s famous authors.
36. In the United States Julia Howe suggested the idea of Mother’s Day in 1872. Anna Jarvis of Philadelphia is credited with bringing about the official observance of Mother’s Day. But when she died in 1948, at the age of 84, Jarvis had become a woman of great ironies. Never a mother herself, her maternal fortune dissipated by her efforts to stop the commercialization of the holiday she had founded. Jarvis told a reporter shortly before her death that she was sorry she had ever started Mother’s Day. She spoke these words in a nursing home where every Mother’s Day her room had been filled with cards from all over the world.
Перед смертью Анна Джарвис говорила о том, что она:
A. счастлива, что праздник “День Матери” существует.
B. счастлива, что люди помнят о ней как об инициаторе празднования “Дня Матери”.
C. сожалеет, что подала идею празднования “Дня Матери”.
D. сожалеет, что ей самой не посчастливилось стать матерью.
Ответы к заданиям:
1. D; 2. A; 3. D; 4. B; 5. B; 6. D; 7. A; 8. C; 9. D; 10. B; 11. D; 12. A; 13. D; 14. D; 15. B; 16. D; 17. B; 18. C; 19. B; 20. C; 21. C; 22. D; 23. C; 24. D; 25. D; 26. B; 27. C; 28. A; 29. B; 30. C; 31. D; 32. D; 33. B; 34. A; 35. D; 36. C
2. Образцы тестовых заданий для выпускников 11-х классов.
1. ____ President of ____ United States lives in ____ White House in ____ Washington D.C.
A. – , the, the, –
B. – , the, – , the
C. – , – , the, the
D. The, the, the, –
2. ____ not any glass in the windows, that is why ____ so cold in the room.
A. There is, it is
B. It is, there is
C. There are, it is
D. There was, there is
3. When the fog ____, we ____ to see where we are.
A. lifts, may
B. will lift, will be able
C. lifts, will be able
D. lifts, must
4. You looked very busy when I ____ you last night. What ____?
A. see, do you do
B. see were you doing
C. have seen, are you doing
D. saw, were you doing
5. Mary hasn’t been in London, ____ she?
6. ____ breakfast yet? – Yes, I ____.
A. Did you have, have
B. Had you had, have
C. Have you had, have
D. Do you have, had
7. I ____ a new house last year, but I ____ my old house yet, so at the moment I have two houses.
A. buy, don’t sell
B. bought, haven’t sold
C. have bought, sold
D. had bought, didn’t sell
8. After failing his driving test four times, he finally ____ trying to pass.
A. gave in
B. gave off
C. gave away
D. gave up
9. I ____ all of the questions correctly since I began this grammar exercise.
A. am answering
C. have answered
D. had answered
10. I have my English class ____ Monday morning.
11. I was late. The teacher ____ the test when I ____ to class.
A. has already given, got
B. had already given, got
C. has already given, get
D. was already giving, get
12. They can’t have ____ more strawberries. I want ____ to make jam.
A. some, any
B. no, some
C. any, any
D. any, some
13. We all ____ his story as a joke.
14. They ____ to return next Monday.
A. are sure
B. was sure
C. will be sure
D. would sure
15. My hair ____ very long.
B. has grown
C. have grown
D. are growing
16. Nothing was stolen, ____?
A. was it
B. wasn’t anything
C. wasn’t it
D. was anything
17. I enjoyed the film last night. ____.
A. Neither do I
B. Neither did I
C. So do I
D. So did I
18. You are always ____ excuses for not ____ your homework on time.
A. making, making
B. doing, doing
C. making, doing
D. doing, making
19. I can’t speak French. I wish I ____.
D. had been able
20. What time does your plane take ____?
21. When I ____ for my passport, I ____ this old photograph.
A. look, found
B. was looking, found
C. will look, will find
D. looked, found
22. I____ to the theatre for ages.
B. hadn’t been
C. won’t be
D. haven’t been
23. Did you notice Nick ____ another student’s paper during the exam?
A. looked at
B. to look at
C. has looked at
D. looking at
24. I ____ to live with my family, but now I live alone.
A. am used
C. am accustomed
D. was used
25. You ____ have a passport if you want to travel abroad.
A. have to
26. She said that she ____ her present flat and ____ to find another.
A. doesn’t like, tried
B. doesn’t like, was trying
C. didn’t like, was trying
D. doesn’t like, will try
27. If it ____ raining yesterday, we ____ the game.
A. hadn’t been, would have finished
B. wasn’t, will finish
C. weren’t, would have finished
D. weren’t, would finish
28. The new highway ____ sometime next month.
A. has been completed
C. will complete
D. will be completed
29. I have always enjoyed travelling. My sister, ____, prefers to stay home.
Тест на понимание содержания текста:
THE EARL OF ST. VINCENT dates back to the 12th century, when it was built as a boarding house for the masons who constructed the church. It was named after a former Admiral who sailed with Lord Nelson. Lovingly restored by the present owners, it is a most extraordinary pub, filled with antiques and hidden away in the old part of the tiny, picturesque village of Engloshayle, in beautiful North Cornwall, England. North Cornwall is one of the last, unspoilt places in the British Isles to offer the visitor coastal scenery as magnificent and beautiful as anywhere in the world, together with the facilities and hospitality to ensure that one returns time and time again. The Earl of St. Vincent is to be found off the A389 Wadebridge to Bodmin Road. Close by there are the picturesque harbours of Padstow and Port Isaac, some superb golfing and a great many historic monuments and ancient sites.
30. Чем привлекает туристов описанный паб? Тем, что:
A. он расположен в доме, где в ХII веке находилась церковь.
B. в доме, где он расположен, жил соратник адмирала Нельсона.
C. до него удобно добираться путешествующим на автотранспорте.
D. в нем до сих пор сохранился дух старой Англии.
Ответы к заданиям:
1. D; 2. A; 3. C; 4. D; 5. C; 6. C; 7. B; 8. D; 9. C; 10. D; 11. B; 12. D; 13. C; 14. A; 15. B; 16. A; 17. D; 18. C; 19. C; 20. A; 21. B; 22. D; 23. D; 24. B; 25. A; 26. C; 27. A; 28. D; 29. C; 30. D